Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV Telegram channel! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Panasonic G80 / G85 / G8 4K 5-axis stab magnesium monster

Specifications

• 16mp m43 CMOS sensor without low pass filter
    • Sensor based 5-axis stabilization, around 5 stops
    • Improved 2.36Mpix OLED EVF
    • 3" 1Mdot LCD
    • Dual IS to work with lens IS improved to V2
    • 4kp30, p24, 1080p60,p50 recording in MP4 up to 100Mbit, recording with 422 color encoding
    • 422 recording, but not 10 bit as GH5, only 8bit
    • 9fps shooting
    • SD card slot with latest UHS support
    • Usual Panasonic DFD tech
    • Microphone socket, headphone socket
    • Dust and water proof, magnesium body

PV Deals

• Body (black PAL, non EU, no limit) - $880 $799
    • 14-140mm Kit (black PAL, non EU, no limit) - $1180 $1099

Both at http://www.personal-view.com/deals/cameras/panasonic#panasonic-g80-g85-g8

US Amazon

img2196.jpg
    670 x 638 - 64K
    img2197.jpg
    800 x 592 - 56K
    img2198.jpg
    800 x 625 - 50K
  • 491 Replies sorted by
  • @Ironfilm The person in the video did the whole thing from top to bottom, including all the editing. I think she did a great job. I did move the mics near the G85 just to check the noise.

• IT's terrible, on this video, the first firmware 1.1 doesn't change the problem. And when i see the border of the road on the video, the image is so strong, seems to ba an artificial picture...

• I can't say for the 14-140mm specifically, but yes, I do believe this was fixed in a firmware update. My G85/G80 does not have this problem.

• Hi, this model have always his problem of stabilisation in 2018 ?

https://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/20979-warning-about-panasonic-g8580-lens/

• Was all black clothing in front of a black back drop an intentional choice?

• A foot away from the Schoeps MK41, the G85 really did not produce anything the mics care about. There's just some intermittent freeway noise.

• PANASONIC LUMIX G85 4K Mirrorless Camera, with 12-60mm Lens Holiday bundle, $799

https://www.focuscamera.com/panasonic-lumix-g85-4k-mirrorless-camera-with-12-60mm-lens-holiday-bundle.html

sa5666.jpg
    467 x 462 - 33K
  • I'm sorry my interview won't be finished for a few weeks, but I placed the G85 right under my studio mics--in this case I used the standard Schoeps MK 41. Of course, the MK41 has nulls similar to a figure of eight mic, which is one reason why everyone uses them (the other reason is that they sound better). I didn't notice any noise from the camera in the interview. Of course, if you put the mic right next to the camera body you can pick up the whirr, just as you can when using an IS lens on a silent camera.
    I suppose it would be nice to be able to turn of the inbuilt IS, but it isn't such a big deal. If you want silent, get the super cheap G7.

• Really loving this camera. Super versatile.

• I'm doing a short interview tonight I'll hook up the G85 next to the mics.

• Nice stuffed animal=Cherubashka = "creature of unknown origin". My daughter has one of those. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheburashka

I can't really hear any objectionable noise, but, my computer's fan is pretty loud so may be drowning it out?

• I'm not sure what that guy is on about. I've tried a number of mics on my G80 and I don't get that noise. Maybe he's running a line signal from a recorder that's plugged in to a wall socket? The only noise I get is a soft 'breathy' noise, that is basically constant with IBIS on. You can hear it in the first part of this clip with my high sensitivity mic. But it is barely noticeable with a lower sensitivity directional mic like the Boya BY-MM1 (used in the second part). And the tiny buzzing sounds are flies on the window.

• You can rent one from LensRentals to try it out.

Not when I'm in New Zealand

• It doesn't make a lot of noise, but it does make a tiny bit. You can rent one from LensRentals to try it out.

• Wellllllllll.......... this guy doesn't like the noise from the G85:

• @Ironfilm, yeah, but focus lock really does lock it. I've had several issue with a multicam setup where I'm guessing someone just brushed the cam one way or the other and the focus was moved a fraction. A fraction is, well, crap most of the time. In MF mode, well, the camera will go out of focus if you sneeze on it.

@Firworks thanks, I suppose it is too much to hope for in a firmware update although I'm sure they could do it. Don't want to upgrade a six pack of cameras for this feature but I would like to have it.

• It's pretty easy to knock a M43 lens out of focus though. I've done it many times on my G85 and ruined a video. That would be a nice feature to have and I was going to say the G85 doesn't have it but tonight I'll try to mess with the AF/AE Lock and AF ON button/subsystem just to confirm I'm not missing it because if it does have it I want to use it.

• You could always just switch over to MF mode after using AF to set focus.

• Locks down the focus so if someone bumps the camera or inadvertently moves the lens, the focus stays locked. It's crucial for event videos where you have more cams than crew.

• What does that feature do @DrDave?

• Anyone know if the G85 has mf focus lock like the GH5?

• @IronFilm You don't hear the IBIS sound a few feet away, but like all camera sounds it can be an issue if you mount the mic directly on the camera. There's an easy way to describe the level of the sound, which is that it is about the same type of sound and volume as the internal sound from a IS lens, but just a fraction louder.
    The amount that it affects the mic depends on the mic, of course--how directional the mic is and whether you have a teeny shock mount on it.
    In my parallel audio setup, with the mics four or five feet away, I didn't have any issues. However, I did not pair the camera that was next to the mics with an IS lens. Of course, when you do pair the two, you get that nice floaty effect, but this was on a tripod.
    The IQ on the camera is very good.

• Good point!!