Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV Telegram channel! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
RED surpassed Beats by Dr Dre margins record selling you just consumer SSD
  • 18 Replies sorted by
  • I am not sure that topic title is best. :-)

Most fun is that on PV and other places people fight for RED and never listed, as same thing had been said for years.

All other camera parts, btw, also have similar margins.

• This is really a fun video, I've seen a similar video of Beats headphones disassembly with $10 components inside. Every RED camera user should feel like an idiot after watching this video :) at least every MINI-MAG ssd owner who could buy a Z-CAM E2 for less :DDD

• @Eimulis

As I said, if you just account manufacturing cost of Red camera (and add software development costs) you will get almost same numbers.

• Haha amazing :) Do people over at reduser know about that video?

• @brudney

I guess that many knew for long time.

Also, any company can make simple trick by using 3D TLC memory and cheap SSD, but make it function in SLC mode. Such drives retail is about $100 per 1TB, so you are getting around 320GB with 1600-1800 write speed across all size.

Or just use proper latest controller for SATA, like latest Phison and same 3D TLC without any size penalty

Write speed is limited by interface

sa9033.jpg
    800 x 733 - 135K
    sa9034.jpg
    678 x 402 - 29K
  • Many redusers have egg on their face now! When you compare their original comments about Jinnitech vs now!

Haha amazing :) Do people over at reduser know about that video?

There is a thread discussing it over on reduser right now

• What's amazing is how furiously RED fanboys defend that RedMag scam 0_o

• @brudney

You never saw owners defending various weird bad things? :-) happens all the time.

• Yeah, I know, it's too much to expect people to act sensibly ;)

• @brudney

Main thing that Red owners must understand is that RED is not their friends.
    Their main goal is to rip them as much as possible and lie as much as possible in the process.

• Yeah, but once they acknowledge that fraud, they make themselves idiots, who spent fortunes on overpriced RED gear :DD

• yes...but what's inside the RED camera? Canon HV20 :)

canon-hv20-hd-camcorder.jpg
    500 x 301 - 72K
  • @jleo apparently Linus shows all!

• @CFreak

RED issue is idea to put many connectors in camera body and usage of many FPGA (some outdated and power hungry).

RED has huge socialization issues, as if not all this elitism and patents plus proper universal chips and much more developers worldwide it can be around 6-10x cheaper.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev their first lens to go with the Red one camera, was a $300 18-50mm 2.8 still photography lens, in a Cine Style lens housing and cost 10x more with their name on it. I knew from them on something was fishy! https://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-18-50-T3-PL-Mount-Cine-Zoom-Lens-ARRI-RED/192981160047?hash=item2cee92d06f:g:ueMAAOSwjW5dI6cp. I believe it is this lens, rehoused: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigma_18–50mm_f/2.8_EX_DC_Macro_lens

• Rip RED...

• @Eimulis now I wanna see Linus do a DIY RED mag using a standard SSD and some 3D printed stuff.

I remember a couple years back we had problems during a shot because the RED mag=PC adapter was not worth cuz it was not an "original" adapter and we had to look everywhere for one, I wonder how much of it was just RED bullshiting us

• @TheNini

You always want half measures.

Proper thing to wish is to have all Red top management removed and all proper engineers used to make cameras that really fulfill people needs. Not to make maximized profits. But this does not work in capitalism.

As Red is not much different, if you get all latest fancy lenses you will NEVER EVER be able to get real manufacturing costs and component costs for them. As my talks with insiders tell me - such info is considered for company to be worst possible crime, much worse than killing 50 man.

Same is true for all latest fancy FF cameras. Sony is being able to sell older models it with all transportation, taxes and nice profit now for less than $800. And their manufacturing costs are only around 10-12% lower than newest model. And all this costs already include lot of greedy investment funds, banks fees, bad marketing, top managers with huge salaries and premiums - all of this is around 30% of total cost if you sum it from all the departments and companies that make parts.